Hair Extensions, My Vice And Recommendation: A Information To Extension Kinds And Strategies

Update (1/19/2017): After years of my experience with hair extensions, I’ve used all my information to create my own line of clip-in hair extensions! You possibly can verify them out (and all of the 5-Star critiques!) at www.girlgetglamorousHAIR.com. Over the previous four years I’ve tried a couple of totally different styles of hair extensions. They is usually a bit of an addiction whenever you start wearing them, consider yourself warned! The following is my advice and opinions on what I preferred and will do with out in relation to the other ways hair extensions will be installed. I’ve been crazy for the last yr about rising my pure hair out, and my next post will go into detail about that. I feel the tape in extensions helped me grow my pure hair longer, as the extension hair tends to take most the abuse from the blow dryer, curling iron, and flat irons. I’ve tried the next strategies of adhering the extensions to my head. 1: Clip In extensions, 2: Micro Link or Link (silicone inside a metal tube) extensions, 3: and Taped In extensions. You can also use a keratin bond (heated or cold) or have the extensions braided in, a.k.a. Tracks. I haven’t tried either of those. My hairstylist actually recommends Tracks, which is a technique where they braid your natural hair then they sew the extensions into the braid. He says it causes no harm to your natural hair, so I'd attempt tracks if I decide to do extensions again. While I've never finished the bonded in (keratin) extensions, I've had pals which have finished them and they have been tremendous damaging in my view. I’ve had to help lower the extensions out of their hair when they (and a number of other stylists) couldn’t get them out. I would by no means ever use a keratin bond in my hair, primarily based on that expertise. Clip In Extensions: The first model of extensions that I used was clip ins. I purchased them on-line for round $100, after looking by way of many online and in store choices. I ordered the #27 strawberry blonde shade, in the 20" length. Should you don’t know what shade you are, most companies will allow you to order a sample for beneath $5. I highly advocate this. I’ve ordered samples earlier than and the shade that appeared right online was too red or too blonde/brown, and so forth in real life. So order a sample earlier than you pay the large bucks for a full set. I didn’t order REMY hair the first time round and the hair quality was still high notch, however I do assume REMY hair is superior. I trimmed these to suit my hair, to about 16" to 18". I needed an extended layered look. A full set normally comes with seven pieces. Three wider pieces for the back, then 4 to six smaller 1" huge items so as to add size on the entrance around the face. You possibly can order hair at virtually every length now. I like 16" to 18" as a last completed size after the are installed and trimmed. But obviously, everyone’s taste varies. I simply suppose 18" seems to be probably the most natural. So order a 20" so you'll be able to have them trimmed to the perfect size. All the time give yourself at least an inch longer so you can get them cut to the precise size. To me, the biggest giveaway that you are wearing extensions is to have thick, one length hair, as that is fairly uncommon. By the time your hair will get lengthy, the ends are often not as thick as the rest of the hair, from breakage and layered cuts. You must both trim the extensions yourself or ask your stylist to chop them to suit your hair on your subsequent haircut. I feel it’s a really essential step so that folks can’t inform that you are wearing extensions. These pics present my first clip ins, right out of the package deal. You'll be able to see what I mean about needing to get them trimmed and these wanted slightly colour to assist them match my own hair more. I purchased a pair of clip in bangs to check out bangs and that i even had to trim those too. All the pieces must be personalized, regardless of the length. *That is MY GOLDEN RULE OF EXTENSIONS: In my opinion, hair extensions ought to be like makeup. We shouldn’t have the ability to see them! If you may see that you are wearing extensions, you might be wearing too many. Have them trimmed and blended into your natural hair. Individuals ought to be surprised to search out out that you are wearing extensions.* Tips on how to wear clip ins: 1. Set out your clip ins from the bottom degree, center level, top degree, after which facet items. 2. Divide your hair into clear, sharp, horizontal lines. (Mine may very well be sharper below, I bought lazy.) You will have three lines, but I divide them one at a time as I'm going to make it easier. I like to do the dividing with a teasing comb that has a skinny rod on the other side. **After you get your first section of hair divided, spray a little bit of dry shampoo onto the part. This can help the clip in hold better. Additionally, wiggle the clip on the roots earlier than you clip them, this will also help them hold.** 3. Clip in your first (decrease) level after which repeat for the center, and prime degree. Transfer to the front and resolve in the event you need 2 or 3 entrance items so as to add length at the entrance of your hair to match the back. Tease at little at the highest, this may help cover the clips. I lastly coloured the extensions to match my hair, as you can see under. Pros of clip ins: 1. They're tremendous inexpensive. You can get a set for beneath $100. 2. They aren’t permanent. Take them in and out for auditions, conferences, a wedding ceremony, a night out, and many others. Cons of clip ins: 1: It feels a little weird to "take out" your hair at the top of the day. I’m single now, but when I was at my boyfriend’s home earlier than, it was awkward to come back residence from a evening out, stuff my hair right into a drawer, and pretend like nothing was different with my hair. 2: As a result of you are taking them in and out each put on, you don’t always clip them in on the identical spots each time on your head. So they can look somewhat "choppy" at occasions. Because of this, I think clip ins look greatest curled or worn as a ponytail to add thickness. 2. They can be heavy and harm after wearing all of them day. Hyperlink or Microlink method: These are individual extensions which can be installed single tube by single tube. They can simply be eliminated with what seems to be like a wrench. You can buy one at virtually any magnificence supply store. These take two to four hours to put in, relying on how much hair you set up and the pace of your stylist. Mine took nearly five hours to install, but I’ve had buddies say theirs took simply a little bit over two hours. You possibly can see the steel hyperlinks when you flip your hair, so be sure your stylist doesn’t put them too near the roots! I imply, they are tiny metal links so they give the impression of being pretty crazy, if we’re gonna be honest. You'll be able to put on your hair up in a ponytail without them being seen. I had too many in my hair I feel, it was virtually two full packs of hair. I additionally left them in too long, you should have them taken out and replaced each two to four months. I believe I left mine in almost six months. GROSS of me to do and damaging to my hair. When i took these out, my hair was thinner. I wouldn’t do these once more as a result of I couldn’t put on my hair half up and so they took too long to install. How to install Microlink Extensions: These must be installed by a trained stylist. Professionals of microlink: 1. Easily goes up right into a ponytail. 2. As they're individual, the hair moves just a little extra naturally at the roots. When the extension are wider on the roots, like with clip ins or tape ins, the hair does move as naturally. Cons of microlink: 1. Felt damaging to my pure hair. 2. Couldn’t wear hair half-up with out seeing hyperlinks. 3. More durable to sleep on, you'll be able to actually feel the links in your head. 4. Took too long to put in. 5. Can look stringy and "extension-y". 6. They're installed near the scalp, so for the first week they pull a bit the primary week and your scalp will get itchy since you can’t actually shampoo beneath them. Taped In extensions: There are two types of taped ins. With one technique you possibly can see the tape, and another referred to as skin weft that looks like actual scalp that the hair is connected to. I’ve only done the tape ins. I used to be a hair mannequin for a corporation that was simply beginning to hold tape ins, which is how I first learned about them. We went somewhat too thick and somewhat too long for the shoot, but these are super straightforward to take out and naturally, I obtained them trimmed. Tape ins have by far been my favourite method for hair extensions. They are lighter and set up in a half hour to forty five minutes. Removing takes about the same period of time. The width of each piece is a good compromise between the super large clip in pieces and the stringy particular person extensions. Every tape in piece is about one to two inches extensive. You'll be able to see the tape if you progress your hair round a lot. As a result of they're installed horizontally, and not vertically (and for a ponytail you pull your hair horizontal) tape in extensions aren’t ideal for prime buns or high ponytails. Seems like a weird small element, I do know, but as buns are having their second right now, it's something to contemplate. I might wear a wrap around headband and low ponytail most days to work out. Someday I used to be operating late and threw my hair in a quick excessive ponytail to do a Bar Method workoutclass. There was a chunk of tape sticking out from my ponytail the entire time, needless to say, I looked insane. I couldn’t determine why the instructor stored staring at me till I looked in the mirror halfway through the class and saw what regarded like half of an art mission sticking out of the side of my head. Got a very good workout though. I might attempt skin wefts in the future. They appear like hair rising out of skin (scalp) so you cant see the tape. Less of a chance of me embarrassing myself in public. My persona is sufficient of an embarrassment, so I do must watch out with my weave. To put in Tape In Extensions: 1. Wash your hair with a special shampoo that removes oil and merchandise out of your hair. This may be bought from a hair and wig supply retailer. It's going to really feel a bit dry. Then flat iron it in order that the tape will adhere with out bumps. 2. Starting with the front pieces, layer two or three 1" wide pieces round your face. 3. Zig zag the back pieces across the again of your head to layer them. Each "piece" is definitely two items that each have tape on the inside. You place the bottom piece against your actual hair, then layer the top piece on top in order that no tape is uncovered. You then smoosh them together, like a sandwich. To remove them, you spray an answer that has an oil that dissolves the tape. You may then open the extension "sandwich" and remove the hair. You have to get all of the tape off of the extension when you plan on reusing the hair. In case you are cautious about removing the tape you possibly can reuse the hair 2 to three instances for a total of six months to a yr. It does have to be reinstalled each 2 to 3 months, relying on how much you workout, sweat, shower, winter vs summer time, etc. Execs of tape ins: 1. Fast to install. Love this. 2. The tape is lighter than the steel links, so they're lighter overall on your head. 3. They lay flat towards your head, so if someone hugs you or feels the back of your head they won’t feel bumps. Also, they're more snug to sleep on. 4. Simple to remove. 5. Not damaging to your own hair when eliminated after two months. Cons of tape ins: 1. You possibly can see the tape if you flip your hair round. 2. Need to be reinstalled every two months, perhaps three, which is a bit more incessantly than the links. 3. Should you workout too much, the edges of the tape starts to peel up. I work out 5 to six days every week so this is an issue for me. 4. They are put in near the scalp, so the primary week they can be itchy as, it’s more durable to shampoo your scalp. 5. It's a must to be careful not to get oil near the tape, as it weakens the tape. I love Argan oil, so I should watch out about applying it. Bottom line: If I decide to have extensions again, I’d go together with tape ins, or try the skin weft tape ins. My second choice can be getting "tracks" a.k.a. having it braided in. I hope this guide to hair extensions has been useful. Please observe my weblog and comment below with any questions! Thank you!

Comments